To provide cost effective fun filled tennis coaching to as many children as possible from all social backgrounds especially those not exposed to the game and including those in the lower income bracket. In addition:
- To provide a low cost fun filled activity for children during their summer holidays.
- To remove the elitism that once was attached to tennis, making it available to all.
- Provide beneficial inter-action between children from different backgrounds
- Provide opportunities for children and adults to enjoy, participate & recreate through tennis.
- Provide seasonal employment during the summer months for over 330 coaches many of which are full time qualified tennis coaches and assistants who are high standard players/students.
- Improve the social fabric of communities by fostering Community Tennis Clubs on local authority facilities thus making it a family sport.
- Improve the usage of tennis facilities which otherwise would be under utilized
- Encourage established private Clubs to operate a Parks programme on their premises thus opening their facilities to the wider community including entire families, adults and children.
- Provide full time employment outlets as tennis coaches through training young people on our City of Dublin Education & Training Board Tennis coaches’ courses.
Information for parents
- Advice for Tennis Parents by Roger Geraghty, Director of Development, Tennis Ireland.
- Tennis Parents from the International Tennis Federation.
“Research has shown that tennis is one of the healthiest, least injurious sports youngsters can play. Tennis is a lifetime sport. It builds self-confidence and self-esteem. It teaches self-discipline, self-reliance and respect for others. But, above all, it provides a good way of performing physical exercise whilst having fun. Today, more children than ever before are taking part in tennis.”
- Parental Involvement in Tennis: How to help children enjoy their experience of tennis (from Tennis iCoach).
- The Role of Parents in Junior Tennis (from USTA).
“The role of parents in junior tennis is an important component of player development, and coaches frequently find themselves searching for the best way to interact with parents and educate them about their role in the development of elite level tennis players.”
Coaching videos are available on the Parks Tennis YouTube Channel.
Videos Sources Provided Courtesy of Rob Cherry Tennis. Check out robcherrytennis.com for lots of great tennis coach information.